A 56-year-old man identified as Sentekola Gad, has choked to death during an eating competition on Chritsmas Day in Uganda.
Police spokesperson, Fred Enanga, says Sentenekora took part in an “amateur” eating contest organised by one Salvan in Kibimbiri, Kihiri sub-country, Kanungu district.
“The victim died when he was choked by the food he was eating and the body was taken the Kihihi health centre where it was established he was choked to death,” Enanga said while addressing the press on Monday morning.
He said that the police is now hunting for the organiser who did not follow safety protocols while organising the competition.
Enanga says that the organiser should have warned the competitors of the dangers involved and also have a medical personnel on board.
“Under normal circumstances, the organizers of the event like in some developed countries, should have informed the competitors of the risk and have medical personnel on board, which was not done.” Enanga added.
A death enquiry file was opened at Kabuga Police Post under SD REF 04/26/12/2021.
The PPRO warned the public against such risky contests like food and alcohol drinking competitions