Black Lives Matter activist Sasha Johnson fighting for her life after being shot in head in London

May 23, 2021
US & World
Sasha Johnson

Sasha Johnson is said to be in a critical condition after being gunned down in the early hours of Sunday, political party Taking The Initiative said

A Black Lives Matter activist is fighting for her life in hospital after being shot in the head, according to a political party she is affiliated with.

Sasha Johnson – a mum-of-three – is said to be in a critical condition after being gunned down in the early hours of Sunday.

The news was announced online by Taking The Initiative.
A statement said: “It is with great sadness that we inform you that our own Sasha Johnson has sustained a gunshot wound to her head.

“She is currently hospitalised and in a critical condition. The incident happened in the early hours of this morning, following numerous death threats.

“Sasha has always been actively fighting for black people and the injustices that surround the black community, as well as being both a member of BLM and a member of Taking the Initiative Party’s Executive Leadership Committee.

“Sasha is also a mother of 3 and a strong, powerful voice for our people and our community.

“Let’s all come together and pray for Sasha, pray for her recovery and show our support to her family and loved ones.”

Ms Johnson – who previously styled herself as the ‘Black Panther of Oxford’ – has been outspoken on racial issues.

A hashtag – #prayforsashajohnson – is being circulated online.

The Metropolitan Police said it could not comment on identities but was “aware” of the social media posts.

The force released a witness appeal earlier on Sunday after a shooting in the Southwark area of London at roughly 3am.

Officers raced to the scene on Consort Road following reports of gunfire.

The victim, thought to be Ms Johnson, was taken to hospital where she remains with “life-threatening injuries”.

No arrests have been made.

DCI Jimi Tele said: “We are all hoping that this young woman’s condition improves.

“Our investigation is in its early stages and urgent enquiries are under way to establish the circumstances.

“I would appeal to the residents of Consort Road and the surrounding area to check any doorbell or dashcam footage for any suspicious activity that may relate to this investigation.”

Anybody with information about the incident is asked to call police on 101 or tweet @MetCC quoting CAD 1172/23May.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *