Anthony Joshua, Fury clash confirmed for August 14

May 17, 2021
Sports

Tyson Fury says his world heavyweight title showdown with Anthony Joshua will take place in Saudi Arabia on 14 August.

The all-British bout has been billed as one of the biggest in heavyweight boxing for decades and the winner will become undisputed champion.

Joshua, 31, holds the WBA, WBO and IBF belts while Fury, 32, is WBC champion.

The fight will see all four belts contested in a heavyweight bout for the first time in history.

The last undisputed heavyweight champion was Britain’s Lennox Lewis from 1999 to 2000 before a boxer had to also hold the WBO belt to be recognised as undisputed champion.

In announcing the fight date in a video on Twitter, Fury said: “All eyes of the world will be on the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia and I cannot wait to smash Anthony Joshua on the biggest stage of all times.

“This is going to be the biggest sporting event ever to grace the planet earth. Do not miss it.”

Neither Joshua, his promoter Eddie Hearn nor Fury’s co-promoters Bob Arum and Frank Warren have confirmed the fight date.

Last week, Hearn confirmed that the fight would take place in Saudi Arabia. BBC

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *