The Lagos State Government on Thursday warned youths against any form of protest at the Lekki tollgate on Saturday, February 13.
The state Commissioner for Information, Gbenga Omotosho, handed down the warning in an interview on Arise TV.
Wotzup reported that youths have been mobilising on the social under #OccupyLekkiTollGate and #RevolutionNow for a protest at the Lekki Toll Gate slated for Saturday, February 13, to protest the reopening of the toll plaza, which was the scene of attacks on unarmed peaceful protesters by soldiers who allegedly fired live bullets.
In a twist however, a counter rally is also planned for that day, under the name #DefendLagos and #DemNoBornYourPapaWell to protest against protesters of #OccupyLekkiTollGate.
Omotosho, who appealed to the protesters not to “cause trouble” in the state, said there is nothing to warrant a fresh protest in the state.
He said: “We all saw what happened in October last year. How some of the iconic buildings in Lagos were razed. We saw how human lives were wasted, including policemen and nobody prays for that kind of thing to happen in Lagos again. Because of that, the Lagos State Government has been suing for peace.