Family laments as mortuary seizes body of man killed by police man over N50 bribe

November 18, 2020
20 year old

Family of Ayomide Taiwo is still looking for money to pay a mortuary which has seized the corpse of the 20-year-old man killed by a police officer in August.

It’s was reported in September reported how Mr Taiwo was attacked by some police officers over a N50 bribe.

Mr Taiwo met his sad fate at Iragbiji in Boripe Local Government Area of Osun State on August 3, while returning to his base in Owena, Ondo State, after celebrating the Islamic festival, Eid-el-Kabir, with his mother, Yemisi Taiwo.

Four police officers had accosted the deceased at a checkpoint in Ere junction in Obokun and allegedly demanded a bribe. In the course of an argument over the bribe, a drunken police inspector, Ago Egharevba, hit Mr Taiwo with the butt of his rifle.

The young apprentice slumped and was rushed to Ladoke Akintola University of Technology (LAUTECH) teaching hospital in Osogbo. He spent six days in a coma at the intensive care unit of the hospital, but died on August 9.

His family told PREMIUM TIMES that they sold their farms and even borrowed money in their futile fight to save Mr Taiwo’s life.

The Commissioner of Police in Osun, Undie Adie, recommended the dismissal of Mr Egharevbe, the officer who attacked Mr Taiwo, to the Inspector-General of Police, but the police have since taken no further action.

The police spokesperson in the state, Yemisi Opalola, refused to comment on whether the police plan to pay compensation to the family and whether Mr Egharevbe has been sanctioned.

The family said the police did not assist it in its efforts to settle the hospital bills and accused the police of inhumane acts.

“After Ayomide was confirmed dead, we were given another bill of N79,000 to pay at LAUTECH to claim the body. Unfortunately, the money I had alongside my mum that day was just N11,000,” Adebayo, a younger brother of the deceased told PREMIUM TIMES.

“I called the police DPO to inform him but he shouted at me on the phone that we should ‘dump’ him (the corpse) in the mortuary.”

On Tuesday, Mr Adebayo told this newspaper that his brother’s remains were still at the LAUTECH mortuary and their mother had become sick over the development.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

WP2Social Auto Publish Powered By :